Lord, as we begin these moments of prayer and meditation in the light of your Word, we ask the Lord the help of the Holy Spirit.
May His Holy Fire engulf us in His love.
May His Holy Word instruct us and inform us.
O God, may you open our minds, our understanding and above all, our will to your call.
May your Word fill our daily living with LIFE.
May our hearts be afire with the desire to love you and serve you.
May we seek above all to imitate the life of prayer and sacrifice of Jesus, your Son.
Help us to seek you in every moment and be willing to give up all worldly allures to serve you.
Give us a heart open to praise you, open to hear you and open to follow you.
Give us a submissive heart like Mother Mary’s Immaculate Heart.
That in these moments of prayer, our who life revolves around you.
Our Father, Hail Mary,
Read: Ex. 34:29-35 Mt 13:44-46
“The kingdom of heaven is like a merchant’s search for fine pearls. When he found one really valuable pearl, he went back and put up for sale all that he had and bought it.” (Mt. 13:45-46)
Think about what human beings are capable and willing to do to put a little excitement and happiness into their lives. People are incredible. They place themselves in all sorts of dangers: they climb the highest mountains, go to the moon, cross whole oceans in tiny boats or fly over them in rickety planes or balloons, etc.
Yet the most difficult work seems to be simply realizing the fullness of the love of the Lord, and allowing Him into our hearts. Every other pursuit is child’s play.
We spend great fortunes on our goals (obtaining houses and cars, writing the world’s best novel, becoming a public figure, etc.).. And what of it? “What profit would a man show if he were to gain the whole world and destroy himself in the process? What can a man offer in exchange for his very self? The Son of Man will come with his Father’s glory accompanied by his angels. When he does, he will repay each man according to his conduct.” (Mt. 16:26)
When someone gets “turned on” to an ideal, nothing else matters. “Rejoicing at his find went and sold all he had…” (44)
The only goal that matters is the very person of Jesus Christ. All else must seem as rubbish.
Reflection and commentary
Psalm 112: “Happy the man who fears the LORD, who greatly delights in his commands.”
St. Peter Chrysologus, d. 450; called “Chrysologus” (golden-tongued) for his exceptional preaching ability; Bishop of Ravenna; 170 of his homilies are extant.
PRAYERS OF PETITION
From the 24th to the 31st of July
Let our voice blend with the choirs of Heaven and present to God all of our needs: You have set us free.
- You have overcome the world through your meekness and gentleness as shown through your Son’s sacrifice. Help us to imitate His willingness to suffer for your will. You have set us free.
- That our servicemen find consolation in you. July the injured, those in physical or emotional therapy or those grieving find solace in your Word and Church. You have set us free.
- Father, grant to us the guidance to know the most opportune word, gesture, place, etc… to win our brothers and sisters over to you. Through your cross…
- Death is the ticket to Life. The cross is the ticket to joy. The last shall be first…. Strengthen our belief, give us courage and make us ready. Through your cross…
- The Holy Spirit makes His presence felt and His power known so that we would be overwhelmed by His hand and be ready for service galore. Through your cross…
- Strengthen our Christian families to come to ever greater lengths of obedience to our holy mother the Church and to you, her divine Guide. Through your cross…
Add your own petitions
OUR PRAYER: We thank you for hearing our prayers. Grant us what is in accord with your holy will. We need you Lord, protect us. AMEN.