Lord, as we begin these moments of prayer and meditation in the light of your Word,
We ask the Lord the help of the Holy Spirit.
May His Holy Fire engulf us in His love.
May His Holy Word instruct us and inform us.
O God, may you open our minds, our understanding and above all, our will to your call.
May your Word fill our daily living with LIFE.
May our hearts be afire with the desire to love you and serve you.
May we seek above all to imitate the life of prayer and sacrifice of Jesus, your Son.
Help us to seek you in every moment and be willing to give up all worldly allures to serve you.
Give us a heart open to praise you, open to hear you and open to follow you.
Help us have a submissive heart like Mother Mary’s Immaculate Heart to abandon ourselves more fully to you, Lord.
Our Father, Hail Mary,
Glory be.Glory be.
July 9, 2015, Thursday St. Augustine Zhao Rong
Read: Gn. 44:18-21, 23-29; 45: 1-5 Mt. 10: 7-15
“Whoever will not receive you or listen to your words — go outside that house or town and shake the dust from your feet. Amen, I say to you, it will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town.” (Mt. 10:14-15)
“Now the inhabitants of Sodom were very wicked in the sins they committed against the LORD.” (Gn. 13:13)
“The LORD rained down sulphurous fire upon Sodom and Gomorrah from the LORD; He overthrew those cities.” (Gn. 19:24-25)
The same scriptures point out that one of the reasons for this treatment was the blatant disregard for the dignity of ones’ neighbor through lust and depravity. (Gn 19: 1-9) “God condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to destruction, reducing them to ashes, making them an example for the people of what is coming.” (2 Ptr. 2:6)
Jesus made clear the greatest sins were based on rejection of the Good News of salvation coming from His messengers: “It will be more tolerable for the land of Sodom….”
We show incredible haughtiness towards the Lord when we think ourselves so intelligent and wise to deny God, the Author of life itself, a hearing (with and open mind and heart) through His legitimate messenger: His Church.
Have you already got ‘your mind made up’ when you’re faced with the Church’s teachings on morality (Abortion, contraception, etc.) if they go against what you want to do?
Reflection and commentary
Psalm 95:7-8 “Oh, that today you would hear his voice: Do not harden your hearts as at Meribah, as on the day of Massah in the desert.”
PRAYERS OF PETITION
From the 1st to the 7th of July
Together, we offer our prayers to our Heavenly Father. We offer them in the unity and power motivated by the Holy Spirit. We now present our needs: Lord, hear us.
- Lord, we know that you have the words of eternal life. Help us to love those words and to put them into practice in our daily lives. Lord, hear us.
- To know you, Lord, is to know the Father, and that is enough for us. Guide us to know your divine assistance, to come to know you and look only to you, our true life. Lord, hear us.
- For our troops in harm’s way, that they may know you guiding and saving hand at all times. May their decisions be made with prudence and great faith. May they always practice restraint whenever possible. Lord, hear us.
- Belief, in today’s day and age, is difficult and takes courage. Belief, that is, that runs contrary to the “flow” of what everybody else is doing or thinking. Help us to be courageous, Lord, and to put our time, energy and resources at your disposal. Lord, hear us.
- You are the light of the world, and you promise to illumine the pathway for all believers. Light our path through the glory of your resurrection. Lord, hear us.
- You have always used messengers to proclaim your Holy Presence, in former times the prophets and angels did your Holy bidding. Today, in the Church, you call upon us to be your ambassadors. Give us courage, Lord. Lord, hear us.
- You are the way, the truth and the life, and no one can go to the Father except through you. Help us to understand the meaning of these words, and live them. Lord, hear us.
(Add your own petitions)
OUR PRAYER: God our Father, thank you for the gift of life, our first life from our parents and the new life you give us through the resurrection of your Son, Jesus Christ, our LORD. AMEN.